Idaho PTA is responsible for chartering new local chapters, called “units.” Each local unit is an independent nonprofit and is set up in accordance with state and federal laws.
The process is unique for each new unit, but there are general steps that all groups take on their way to establishing a unit.
- Idaho PTA will set up an initial meeting and explain the process for chartering and the benefits of joining the PTA family.
- Create bylaws that meet state and federal requirements. Idaho PTA has templates and models to assist. Bylaws provide the organizational structure of your unit.
- Identify and elect officers, such as a President and a Treasurer, who will help run the unit throughout the year.
- Run membership campaigns to attract supporters to their association. These members will pay dues, a portion of which goes toward membership in the state and National PTA.
- Create committees to carry out the work of the association;
- Apply for an Employer Identification Number ( EIN) with Idaho PTA’s help; and then
- Open a bank account in the new PTA’s name.
Having a PTA can benefit your child, school, and community! So what are you waiting for? Click here to get more info on starting a PTA now or contact Idaho PTA by phone 208-344-0851 or email at email@example.com