2016 – 17 Reflections Theme: “What’s Your Story?”
Local School Coordinators must submit winners to their Regional Reflections Chairs NO LATER THAN December 15, 2016.
* Some Chairs may have earlier deadlines, please be sure to check with your
Regional Reflections Chair (see list below) for Due Dates and Important Info!*
Regional Reflections Chairs must submit winning entries (1 per age division/category) to the
State Reflections Chair NO LATER THAN January 30, 2017. Regional Chairs must submit entries by using the online portal.
Step 1. Start the Arts
- Register your 2016-17 program (Jul. 1 through Jan. 1, 2017).
- Review Idaho PTA’s Reflections Guide, due-dates, forms and additional information.
- Take the Reflections Leader Training (on demand)
- Use #ArtsEdWeek Tools to kick-off your program in a big way this National Arts in Education Week (Sept. 11-17).
Step 2. Organize and Plan Your Program
- Customize your PTA Leader Checklist to organize tasks and schedule deadlines.
- Build your PTA Arts Committee with this Volunteer Sign-Up Sheet.
- Recruit community arts professionals to serve as judges.
Step 3. Promote Reflections
- Introduce Reflections to school and community partners using this Reflections flier.
- Announce your Call for Entries using this customizable themed flier (.pdf, fillable .pdf) and promo video for students.
- Distribute the Student Entry Form and Rules and Instructions.
- Consider these Tips for Program Promotion.
- Create your own promotions:
Step 4. Organize Artwork for Judging
- Collect submissions and organize by Arts Category and Grade Division. Qualify submissions according to program rules and address student ineligibility, as needed.
- Prepare submissions for Judges’ review and provide Judging Guidelines and a Score Card to each judge. Judges will review artwork and judging information provided on the student’s entry form.
- Collect judges scores and rank entries. Assign awards by grade division and arts category. Award levels may include: Award of Excellence; Award of Merit; Honorable Mention; Participant – you may decide how many to award based on your school’s participation. Your Regional Reflections Coordinator will determine how many entries may advance to the Regional Reflections competition.
Step 5. Advance Winners to Regional Contest
- Advance to the Regional Reflections Contest the designated number of winners (determined by your Region Reflections Chair) per age group in every category.
- Regional entries are due at regional chair’s discretion – no later than December 15, 2016.
Step 6. Celebrate and Recognize Your Participants
- Use the Reflections celebration guide to help plan your event.
- Promote your event and celebrate students in local media using this media advisory and press release.
- Present the Certificate of Recognition and other awards available at the PTA Store.
- State Reflections winners will be announced March 1, 2017 and will be recognized at a ceremony at the Idaho PTA Convention in Pocatello April 7-8, 2017.
- Learn about national awards for students and PTAs.
Step 7. Wrap Up
- Thank school staff, community partners, judges and parent volunteers using this Thank-you Letter for Volunteers.
- Organize feedback using this Program Evaluation.
- Submit student participation totals (Sept. 1 through Mar. 1, 2017).
Questions? Contact the following Reflections chairs:
Region 1: Heidi Reasor email@example.com
Region 2: Alexis Morgan firstname.lastname@example.org
Region 3: Erin McCandless email@example.com
Region 4: Erin McCandless firstname.lastname@example.org
Region 5: Mary-Kae Ryner email@example.com
Region 6: Mary-Kae Ryner firstname.lastname@example.org
Region 7: Erin McCandless email@example.com
Region 8: Jennifer Prudhomme firstname.lastname@example.org
Region 9: Stephen Rudy email@example.com
State: Erin McCandless firstname.lastname@example.org
- Local PTA Leader’s Guide
- PTA Leader Online Instructions (.pdf)
- Local PTA Participation Form (Council, District, Region)
- PTA Leader Checklist
- Volunteer Sign-Up Sheet
- Tips for Program Promotion
- Themed Poster (.pdf, fillable .pdf) & Themed Image (.jpg,.png)
- Flyer for PTA & School Leaders (En Espanol, 2-Sided)
- Judging Guidelines (.pdf) & Score Card
- Reflections Celebration Guide
- Media Advisory & Press Release
- National Awards
- Student Certificate
- Thank-you Letter for Volunteers
- Program Evaluation
- Reflections 101 e-Learning on demand
- Reflections 101 Template Workshop